Monday, June 3, 2019

The 1985 Listening Post - Waysted - The Good, the Bad and the Waysted

Waysted - The Good, the Bad and the Waysted


#190
1985 Housekeeping
Waysted
The Good, the Bad and the Waysted
Genre: Hard Rock
4 out of 5

Highlights:
Hang ‘em High
Manuel
Around and Around


The mark of a lazy reviewer (or so I’ve been told) is simile. And, as you all know, I do love me some simile. In fact, I find myself searching my brain for similes to describe the music as I hear it because there’s really only a few ways a guy with as limited a vocabulary as I can say, “this is exceptional” or “this is bad”. 
That said, it’s also not acceptable to just be binary. “this is exceptional” or “this is bad” is sub-par. 
So, that brings me to Waysted. 
Somewhere between the power arena rock of Triumph/UFO/Van Halen/Bryan Adams and the Southern rock of Molly Hatchet/Lynrd Skynrd/Allman Brothers is Waysted. Fin Muir’s growl of a voice adds a lot to the latter, while Pete (UFO) Way’s sensibilities contribute to the former.
They could go either way and that leaves them both in no man’s land and everyone’s land. 
And that makes for one satisfying 40 minutes of Rock. 


No comments: