Friday, June 7, 2019

The 1985 Listening Post - Megadeth - Killing is My Business...And Business is Good

Megadeth - Killing is My Business...And Business is Good


#207
June 10 1985
Megadeth
Killing Is My Business…And Business Is Good
Genre: Thrash Metal
4.75 out of 5


Highlights:
Killing Is My Business…And Business Is Good
The Skull Beneath the Skin
These Boots
Chosen Ones


I gotta admit, I wasn’t expecting a gentle, classical piano opening. But, from there, it’s an onslaught. 
I don’t know if they are actually “songs” or if they are really just an excuse to shred like a maniac but, fuck me, Mustaine can do that. He notoriously wanted to send a message to Metallica who had fired him that he could do them one better. In doing so I think he just reinvented the genre. There is nothing  wasted here. No fat on this bone. Nothing goes on longer than it needs to. And the cover of “These Boots Are Made For Walking” is the metal version of DKs “Rawhide”. Explosive and in your face and elevating. It’s so obviously influenced by Motorhead, if only Lemmy had done it first. (Maybe he did. I don’t know. He should have, that’s for damned sure)
The album is short. And dynamic. And, although it’s been remastered, it’s hard to believe that it was originally recorded for $12000 and that $4000 of that went to alcohol. 
How can you play like this when you’re fucked up?


No comments: