Friday, June 21, 2019

The 1985 Listening Post - The Mekons - Fear and Whiskey

The Mekons - Fear and Whiskey


#231/882
June 1985
The Mekons
Fear and Whiskey
Genre: Alternative
3.75 out of 5


Highlights:
Trouble Down South
Hard to be Human Again


Art students. 
Adam Ant. 
Talking Heads.
Deborah Iyall.
Yeast Infection. 

The rock landscape is littered with bands that were forged out of art school. Are there still art schools? I dunno. 

The Mekons are part of that catalog. 

And here’s where either all my credibility goes out the window or I’m on to something. For I believe, while it may be true that it is The Mekons that are the progenitors of modern alt-country, there is an entire sector of that music that I just can’t bring myself to enjoy. I find it ugly and impenetrable. And I can’t put my finger on it. I’ve tried and tried. (Wait til we get to Wilco…another group I just can’t with)

That isn’t to say that it’s bad. It’s not. It’s just…I would never say, “Hey! I gotta get me some more Mekons music!”


No comments: