Friday, June 7, 2019

The 1985 Listening Post - Bryan Ferry - Boys and Girls

Bryan Ferry - Boys and Girls


#200
June 3 1985
Bryan Ferry
Boys and Girls
Genre: SynthPop
4.25 out of 5


Highlights:
Sensation
Slave to Love
Stone Woman

Does Bryan Ferry get the kudos he deserves? I don’t think so. I think he gets forgotten in David Bowie’s wake and I think he’s a better singer and has a more solid finger on the pulse of sensual AOR. And maybe that’s why he doesn’t. He’s making music to drink wine to or have a communal experience in the desert. He’s not pushing the form into new areas as much as he’s deepening those that already exist (and that he helped create!)
This album is hypnotic and very obviously deftly made, look at that damned pedigree! Like most of Ferry’s work it’s human but from the outside. The core is…not empty…just not warm. He doesn’t seem like a person I’d want in my family. But I enjoy his music. 
If you loved Roxy Music’s Avalon, you will love this. This is almost Avalon II.


No comments: