Saturday, June 22, 2019

The 1985 Listening Post - Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers - Rockin' and Romance

Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers - Rockin' and Romance


#264/898
July 7 1985
Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers
Rockin’ and Romance
Genre: Rock
5 out of 5


Highlights:
The Beach
My Jeans
The UFO Man
Vincent Van Gogh
Walter Johnson
The Fenway
Chewing Gum Wrapper
Now Is Better Than Before



This is fucking great. 
It’s like I was asleep for the longest time and I woke up and I finally get it. 
Flansburgh and Linnell have this record, right?
This is just fun. Even the track that sounds like a demo “Walter Johnson” gets a pass because who the fuck writes a song about Walter Johnson!?!? Like Mojo Nixon’s “Wendell Scott” it’s an ode to a great sports hero who doesn’t get songs written about him. And I love the fuck out of it. 
But where They Might Be Giants sound almost emotionally detached in their approach there’s a homey warmth to Jonathan’s adulation for something like “The Fenway”. It’s not often that I am brought to tears by a song about a building, but that one got me. 

No comments: