Saturday, June 22, 2019

The 1985 Listening Post - Eddie Murphy - How Could It Be

Eddie Murphy - How Could It Be


#271/905
July
Eddie Murphy
How Could It Be
3.5 out of 5

Highlights:
I Wish (I Could Tell You When)
Party All the Time

Kill me. 

Ok. “Do I”, a Stevie Wonder track is actually not terrible. A good way to lead off a dance pop record. 
But Murphy’s voice is generic. Devoid of personality. And in his hands it sort of sounds like weak Harold Faltermeyer. 
And the first track credited to him is a perfectly fine piece of MOR r&b. 
I maintain that this doesn’t belong on this list but we are doing it because it’s Murphy. 
The hit is a hit in spite of Murphy not because of him. But if you didn’t know it was Murphy you might not be angry about it. But if it wasn’t Murphy it wouldn’t exist. And none of that is bad. Or good. 
Like this record. 


No comments: