Friday, June 21, 2019

The 1985 Listening Post - The Dead Milkmen - Big Lizard in My Backyard

The Dead Milkmen - Big Lizard in My Backyard


#228/879
June 1985
The Dead Milkmen
Big Lizard in My Backyard
4.75 out of 5

Highlights:
Tiny Town
Bitchin’ Camaro 
Violent School


Fuck, I wanna give it a 5 so bad. 
I never listened to The Dead Milkmen. The reason? One if the members flirted with my now-ex-wife before I even met her but she was really proud of this encounter. 
I harbored an irrational contempt for them ever since which makes no sense since I harbor fire of a thousand subs contempt for my ex-wife. 

Thing is, I’m not sure I’ve ever heard anything like this. Not during this listening project. It’s not like they are following a formula. They are making up the formula. They don’t care about airplay and, in doing so, ended up College Radio darlings. Rightfully so. This isn’t the sound of 1985. This is the sound of college in the 80s. Spiritual if not musical cousins to They Might Be Giants this album is at times hilarious and eminently listenable. 
I could just highlight the whole damned thing. 
And they reference Crystal Ship, the same Doors cover band that played my high school!
They are snotty as The Ramones but funnier and wittier. Sure they owe a lot to those guys but they take their musicianship a bit more seriously. And that talent is in counterpoint to the songs. 


No comments: