Friday, June 7, 2019

The 1985 Listening Post - Corey Hart - Boy in the Box

Corey Hart - Boy in the Box


#209
June 14 1985
Corey Hart
Boy in the Box
Genre: Pop Rock
3.5 out of 5


Highlights:
Boy in the Box
Komrade Kiev
Never Surrender


Corey Hart. What is he? What was he? He wasn’t a band. He didn’t play an instrument but he wrote the songs. “Komrade Kiev” is a crunchy power pop that reminds me a bit of Murray Head’s hit from Chess but it’s even more prog-rocky. I don’t know what to make of this, so I’ll just say…I heard it. And the songs, when they hit, are excellent. 
“Never Surrender”…Jon Bon Jovi WISHES he could write a power ballad like this. 85 Allen would’ve gagged. 15 Allen sees it a bit differently. It’s just a well written, expertly crafted piece of ear candy. 
There’s a bit of flabby treacle here, what else would you expect? He tries to rock again on “Silent Talking” and gets real Sting-y at the end on “Water from the Moon”. It’s a mishmash. 
Like I said, I heard it. 


No comments: