Monday, June 3, 2019

The 1985 Listening Post - Sting - The Dream of the Blue Turtles

Sting - The Dream of the Blue Turtles


#196
June 1 1985
Sting
The Dream of the Blue Turtles
Genre: Rock
3.25 out of 5

Highlights:
Love is the Seventh Wave
Fortress Around Your Heart


The first two things I noticed when the opening single “If You Love Someone, Set Them Free” was playing was a) how much off the mark but obvious in its targeting of Eurythmics rock meets R&B it is and b) how awful Sting’s voice is. He strains and yelps and just sounds terrible. Maybe that’s just me. I never though much of him as a vocalist. But on this track and “Shadows in the Rain” he seems particularly in need of a lozenge.
Here, on the end of the second track, he starts to fuck with the lyrics of “Every Breath You Take” (Every Cake You Bake….ugh). He just did the same thing on Dire Straits album. Fine. Whatever. It’s your stuff, bro. But it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. And then his political club footedness continues through this aim for the middle of AOR road entry. 
And then there’s the freeform Jazz of the title track. If I wanted Jazz I’d go to them empty section of the record store, Gordon. 
“Fortress Around Your Heart” is really the only track that sounds like Sting of old. It feels like a leftover from Synchronicity. It’s honestly the only track I truly loved. 

I was too young for it then and my spirit is too young for this now. 


No comments: