Monday, June 10, 2019

The 1985 Listening Post - Marillion - Misplaced Childhood

Marillion - Misplaced Childhood


#218
June 17 1985
Marillion
Misplaced Childhood
Genre: Prog Rock
4.75 out of 5 (I might go up to 5 on the next listen)


Highlights:

Kayleigh
Lavender
Heart of Lothian
Lords of the Backstage

Ok. Bills done. Data entered. Calls made. I hit the bike path. This is actually the most difficult way to do this because I can’t rate the songs, all I can do is “love” them on my watch and I don’t want to pull over to make notes. 
I didn’t have to. I could pretty much just highlight this whole record. 
It washed over me in a way that Marillion’s previous work has left me wanting. 
 am not entirely sure what the songs are about (something to do with Fish’s childhood) and I will DEFINITELY go back and listen again to get into it more deeply. 

It’s around Heart of Lothian that I realize: These guys have picked up the narrative where classic Genesis left off. A worthy successor to The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway. Yes, I went there. It’s at least as good as Selling England by the Pound, maybe better. 

It’s earnest without being cloying. It’s musically interesting without being pretentious. It’s honest without giving up their epic-progressive mission statement.
This is an extraordinary thing. J’adore. 


No comments: