Monday, June 3, 2019

The 1985 Listening Post - The Long Ryders - State of Our Union

The Long Ryders - State of Our Union


#199
June 1 1985
The Long Ryders
State of Our Union
Genre: Rock/Alt-Country
4.75 out of 5


Highlights:
Looking for Lewis and Clark
Lights of Downtown
Here Comes that Train Again
You Just Can’t Ride that Train
Capturing the Flag


Dayum!
What got into the Long Ryders? From jump I feel like they kicked the whole Paisley rock thing in the ass and decided to be the American Clash. 
It’s weird how this band eluded me entirely. I think I would’ve eaten this up. I certainly am right now. 
It’s The Beat Farmers with more punch and less irony. They get a little Rolling Stonesy towards the end (especially on the title track) but that’s not a bad thing. These guys know what they are doing and they are doing it well.

My question for those who know better: Are the roots of “Alt-Country” to be found in 1985?



No comments: