Monday, June 3, 2019

The 1985 Listening Post - Del Amitri - Del Amitri

Del Amitri - Del Amitri


#178
May 1985
Del Amitri
Del Amitri
Genre: Indie Rock
4.5 out of 5


Highlights:
Heard Through the Wall
Hammering Heart
Sticks and Stones, Girl
I Was Here/Crows in the Wheatfield
Breaking Bread



Maybe I just love Scotland.
I mean, I adore Scotch. A good Speyside, lowland, peaty one, like Laphraoig or Lagavulin or Auchentaschen. 
And a lot of Scottish music
The Fratellis. 
The 1990s
Paolo Nutini
The Yummy Fur
Franz Ferdinand
Glasvegas
The Bay City Fucking Rollers!
the list goes on and on.

And to that, I add Del Amitri. 
Another terribly named band (It sounds like it should be the band for a Yngwie Malmsteen-esque guitar solo hero, no?).
But it’s not that. It’s Indie rock that is eminently listenable. 
The songs are staggeringly assured but also have that innocent, joyful sound of tubeway buskers. (They should have been called The Tubeway Buskers!
I adore this record. I wish I had heard it 34 years ago. I’m glad I did today.

No comments: