Friday, June 7, 2019

The 1985 Listening Post - The Effigies - Fly On a Wire

The Effigies - Fly On a Wire


#202
June 3 1985
The Effigies
Fly On a Wire
Genre: garage
3.75 out of 5


Highlights:
Forever, I Know
Fly On a Wire
Pushin’ Pullin’


Boy have I missed this sound. The sound of pounding out rock in a room with a couple other guys. Okay, there’s a twinge of reverb and echo but that’s the 80s. 
One of the guys here is the brother of one of the members of Naked Raygun and I guess there’s been some comparing of the two bands. Effigies sound more assured and willing to bend and play with punk tropes. While they call themselves the first Chicago punk band, this isn’t “punk” to me. It’s garage rock. 
I even like it when they try their hand at “funk”. “Blue Funk” is better than 75% of the rock funk Queen attempted (Save “Another One Bites the Dust” & “Back Chat”).



No comments: