Saturday, May 23, 2020

The 1980 Listening Post - Sparks - Terminal Jive

Sparks - Terminal Jive


#26
Reviewed by Lori Alley
January 28 1980
Sparks
Terminal Jive
Genre: Roller Rink Freeskate
Lori’s Rating: 2 Out of 5
Allen’s Rating: 2 Out of 5

Lori’s Highlights:
Noisy Boys

Allen’s Highlights:
The Greatest Show On Earth


By Lori Alley:

I would give this album a higher rating if I could confirm that it's a joke I just don't get. I can't tell if they are trying to be a parody of an 80s band or if it's an authentic reflection of the times.  I only gave it a 2 because it really serves best as a sociological reminder of the 80s, and might be locked into a time capsule for future generations as a perfect example of 80s music.  It's SO inclusively referential of every decade that has come before and apparently since these guys have been around since the late 60's they've managed to drag everything with them along the way. Noisy Boys is danceable and sort of okay, but the rest includes what I can only describe as an anthem for sexually confused adolescent boys with such songs as "Just Because You Love Me (baby baby give it to me)" and an "instrumental." The instrumental begs the question, "why bother?"  It has a slightly prog rock sound combined with a Spinal Tap good naturedness, with Gary Numan thrown in as well.  But really it's more reminiscent of workout videos and rollerskating from the 80's than anything else, and would be useful music for torturing confessions out of captive terrorists.  Maybe I'll listen to this again when I'm not being held hostage by a pandemic and find it to be less infuriating.

https://open.spotify.com/album/4VLxLHCbKBhtsM09X9gMMj?si=4c43fgHmTtSbXE1PUmVDvQ

No comments: