Saturday, May 23, 2020

The 1980 Listening Post - The Babys - Union Jacks

The Babys - Union Jacks


#34
Reviewed by Rob Slater
January 1980
The Babys
Union Jacks
Allen’s Rating: 4 out of 5 
Rob's Rating: 2.75

Genre: Future Super-group wannabes! ;-) (Or should that be Gonnabes?)
  1. 1. John Waite: Solo, Bad English
  2. 2. Jonathan Cain: Journey, Bad English
  3. 3. Ricky Phillips: Bad English, Styx, Coverdale-Page 
  4. 4. Tony Brock: drummer with Rod Stewart, Roy Orbison, Eddie Money, and Elton John
  5. 5. Wally Stocker: guitarist with Rod Stewart, Air Supply, and Humble Pie

Good songs: Back on My Feet Again, Union Jack

  1. 1. Back on My Feet Again: This one is solid. Sounds like Journey. Big surprise, eh?
  2. 2. True Love True Confession: Okay, but this has a bit too much of that early 80s keyboard. Sounds a lot like Bad English. No big surprise there either.
  3. 3. Midnight Rendezvous. Meh. 
  4. 4. Union Jack – Actually, this was the song that stuck with me

Uh, okay. Decent songs, but nothing clicks. In Your Eyes. Anytime, Jesus, Are You There?, Turn Around in Tokyo, Love Is Just a Mystery. Better than the last thing I reviewed, but really, it was just okay. I'd play it again for background. 

I think there were a couple songs that rose above mediocre to decent on side two, but... what were they thinking? I actually feel bad that I didn't like it more.

https://open.spotify.com/album/61LtPnznDC6vcMOUrvRJQM?si=-nSVbLllROqBi3RjBd04TA


No comments: