Monday, May 25, 2020

The 1980 Listening Post - Kevin Ayers - That's What You Get Babe

Kevin Ayers - That's What You Get Babe


#45
February 15 1980
Kevin Ayers
That’s What You Get Babe
Genre: Ego
1.5 out of 5





I have read things about Kevin Ayers like he and Sid Barrett are the two most responsible for modern rock, post-Elvis, I guess.
But I have never seen any evidence of this. Mainly because my experience with Kevin comes from his 80s output.
In the case of those albums, he seems to just be a crappy songwriter who puts a lot of instrumentation around bad ideas and wraps them up and presents them as “songs”. Most of the time, to me, he sounds like a 3rd rate baritone Nillsson. 
Harry had a sense of humor. Kevin seems to have had that extracted. 

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YGVNV_2Hww&list=PLDFA3F7020684B404

No comments: