Saturday, May 23, 2020

The 1980 Listening Post - Rush - Permanent Waves

Rush - Permanent Waves



#20
Reviewed by Hector Marin
January 14 1980
Rush
Permanent Waves
Genre: They pretty much invented this so…Rush.
Allen’s Rating: 5 out of 5
Hector’s Rating: 4.5 out of 5

Allen’s Highlights:
The Spirit of Radio
Hector and Allen’s Highlights:
Free Will



I was actually lucky that this was the album you choose for me to review as I grew up a Rush fan. However I didn't truly didn't appreciate why I was a fan until I recently watched their bio-pic Rush:Beyond the lighted stage. Permanant waves is the first album I have listened to post watching the documentary and I can only now appreciate Geddy's vocals with an understanding of how he blends it in with his keyboard and Bass play. Lifeson power guitar and Pearts drums go without saying. But what needs to be said about Neil Pert is my newfound appreciation for his lyrical prowess. Getting to know the band members and to learn how nerdy and yet so brilliant and cool and how that is translated into their music. In listening to Permanent Waves, my familiarity with "The Spirit of the radio" and "Free will" made it my obvious choices for favorite songs. But listening to "Natural science" with the newly formed lens of how they created their works of art, gave me a deeper appreciation to the magic they created with just gifted three men and their beautifully played instruments

https://open.spotify.com/album/3nUNxSh2szhmN7iifAKv5i?si=leHKUYbkTfSm7dTsgAZ8ug

No comments: