Saturday, May 23, 2020

The 1980 Listening Post - John Foxx - Metamatic

John Foxx - Metamatic


#17
Reviewed by Brian San Marco
John Foxx
Metamatic
Genre: Casio chords/New Wave
Allen’s Rating: 4.5
Brian’s Rating: 2


Brian’s Highlights:
New Kind of Man




John Foxx
Metamatic

Highlights: New Kind of Man


As far back as I can remember, I wanted a Casio Keyboard.  This was partly due to the fact that they had “Casio Chords” – one touch harmony and rhythm for the simple songwriter, like myself.  

I was 8 in 1980 and listened to pop music.  My foray into New Wave mostly involved bands with hits.  Needless to say, I’ve never heard this before in my life.  I did later get into New Order, then Joy Division, but I’m in no way a connoisseur of such things.  When MTV came out I had Gary Numan.  I now know who HIS influence might have been.

Foxx’s music is very synth and very simple.  Simple in the Casio Chord sense.  One white key triggers the verse – drums and everything – hold a second key, and you modulate to minor.  This is how I started making music when I was 8.  Casio Chords.  I swear it sounded the same.  The same as every song on this record except a finger was moved and the words changed.  I noticed the similar pattern across the songs only a few songs in.  It was about halfway through that I realized I was entranced by Casio Chords and for a moment I thought “This is kind of enjoyable.”  I can’t really explain it – like the smell of rubbing alcohol.  Then in an instant, I was bored to death, annoyed, and in need of funk.

https://open.spotify.com/album/3OFXYdKqkbAbnPubrFja0A?si=LiX3kFBuS26KB_uOt1QfZQ  (Tracks 1-10 only)

No comments: