Monday, May 25, 2020

The 1980 Listening Post - 707 -707

707 -707



#40 LISTENING POST DISCOVERY
February 11 1980
707
707
Genre: Power Glam
4.5 out of 5 (extra .5 point for never disappointing or being too cloying. 


Highlights:
I Could Be Good For You
Let Me Live My Life
You Who Needs to Know


There’s this weird place where Power Pop and Rock coexist. It’s the land of REO Speedwagon and Toto and,Bon Jovi and well, let’s be honest, Supertramp. Yeah, yeah, I know they are “prog” but they wrote really catchy pop songs that you would hear on classic rock stations. 
That’s 707. The guitars squeal but never screech, the piano melodies everything up and, you know what? It’s not bad. Quite the opposite, really.
I’ll forgive the ballads in ways that I wouldn’t for hair metal because these guys are just bringing their 70s sensibilities into the studio and they mean it. 
Fuck it, Imma going with my gut. For no good reason whatsoever, maybe it’s the combination homemade chocolate chip cookies, Sodastream Dr. Pete with Spiced Rum and the CBD oil but…I swear that these guys are The Hudson Brothers with more heft. Listen to “You Know Who Needs to Know” and tell me if I’m nuts. 
Or drunk.
Or oversugared. 

No comments: