Saturday, May 23, 2020

The 1980 Listening Post - The Cravats - The Cravats in Toytown

The Cravats - The Cravats in Toytown


#6
January 10 1980
The Cravats
The Cravats in Toytown
Genre: Punk, with Saxophones. 
3.25 out of 5

Highlights:
Still
In Your Eyes


At first glance I’m a sucker for this sound: A driving percussion, minimalist bass, yelping punk vox and, up front, demanding it be the focus, a lone saxophone. This is the sound of the 80s that I know and love. It’s what “punk” became on a road that wasn’t hardcore. It’s the stuff you’d hear in the middle of an episode of Night Flight or New Wave Theater with Peter Ivers. 
Man, I loved that show. Or, rather, I loved loving that show. We used to have it on in the middle of the night in the background while we played epic games of Strat-O-Matic til three, four, five in the morning. 
If anything defines my early youth of the 80s it’s that. 
Strat-o-Matic above the Eps Restaurant in Bar Harbor with George and New Wave Theater on and, for some reason, throwing stars being tossed at makeshift walls that were more partitions than actual apartment dividers. 
It all runs out of gas by Side Two, though. 
And now I’m sad. 

No comments: