Thursday, November 14, 2019

The 1986 Listening Post - The Triffids - Born Sandy Devotional

The Triffids - Born Sandy Devotional



#115/1280
March 1986
The Triffids
Born Sandy Devotional
Genre: Rock
3.75 out of 5


Highlights:
Wide Open Road

This is kind of a remarkable thing that hasn’t happened to me before: You guys all know that there is a spreadsheet that contains all the previously listened to records as well as all the upcoming ones for the year, right? 
And on that sheet are the names of the records and the bands and links to their wikipedia pages and, if applicable, ratings (with links) from Allmusic, Pitchfork, Christgau and my own blog. 
I can safely say that Pitchfork and I often do not agree, that’s not a surprise. And sometimes Allmusic and I don’t see eye to eye. But, never before have I been befuddled as to why Allmusic would give an album that is fine but not one of the pantheon of greats 5 stars and I only gave them something like 3.75, tops. (It almost cracked 4 but the average, even when pulled up for production or general experience, just couldn’t get there)
Why 5? What is this record but a pretty good, not that catchy, sort of interesting, sweeping folk rock epic that isn’t as dynamic as INXS or Midnight Oil who hail from the same country? 
I don’t get it. 
It’s fine. 
It’s not as great as they seem to want it to be. 
It’s lush and very pleasant but I don’t feel like I missed anything by not ever hearing this one by The Triffids. Actually, when this sound morphs into the likes of Elbow it will be better. 

https://open.spotify.com/album/3rRwJuilJbZGV5VGfVXoCN?si=xzCyngavS6q5GWI5tfLYlQ

No comments: