Thursday, November 14, 2019

The 1986 Listening Post - Sigue Sigue Sputnik - Flaunt It

Sigue Sigue Sputnik - Flaunt It



#113/1278
March 1986
Sigue Sigue Sputnik
Flaunt It
Genre: New Wave
4.25 out of 5


Highlights:
21st Century Boy
Sex Bomb Boogie
Teenage Thunder

Not only did I know the name but nothing else about this band. I don’t know why they escaped me but here’s a fact: This record was produced by Giorgio Moroder.
I haven’t seen Japanese glyphs on an album since 1974’s Hotter than Hell by Kiss. But this, absolutely, is not that. 
I also haven’t heard much of Moroder since his team up with Sparks in No. 1 in Heaven. And this is closely related to that. 
Weirdly, this doesn’t sound antiquated although it’s absolutely got more in common with Plastic Bertrand and The Rezillos than any of the New Wavers of the day. 
But, in the end, what it really sounds like is a video game soundtrack looking for a video game.


No comments: