Friday, November 8, 2019

The 1986 Listening Post - Depeche Mode - Black Celebration


Depeche Mode - Black Celebration


#94/1261
March 17 1986
Depeche Mode
Black Celebration
Genre: SynthPop
3.5 out of 5


Highlights:
Black Celebration
Here is the House


Is it me or is this darker than the previous DM records? Try as I might, I just don’t get Depeche Mode. They are dance but not dance, industrial but not industrial. What am I supposed to get here? It plods and pounds but is it depressing enough to be the soundtrack to sadness or pound hard enough to be a backing track for sexual encounters? 
Only is some shitty Brian DePalma or Adrian Lyne movie. 
I appreciate the Philip Glass sounding “It Doesn’t Matter Two” but that’s only because I appreciate that Gore and Gahan like Glass. 
Why does this album take so long to get even remotely interesting?  And when it does, on Side Two, it just sounds like Gary Unman fans made a record.
I will never get these guys. 



No comments: