Monday, November 4, 2019

The 1986 Listening Post - Boys Don't Cry - Boys Don't Cry

Boys Don't Cry - Boys Don't Cry


#75/1242
1986 Housekeeping
Boys Don’t Cry
Boys Don’t Cry
Genre: SynthPop
4.25 out of 5



Highlights:
Cities on Fire
I Wanna Be a Cowboy


I wanna call this record “The Revenge of SynthRock”. Well, that first track, anyway. It’s filled with abandon and joy, it’s palpable. 
I even listened to the extended version of these because I couldn’t get my finger on what contemporary band they reminded me (this is something I struggle with and am always amazed when other people can just pull of comparisons with ease) and then it hit me: Neon Trees.
I was really late to Neon Trees but I finally succumbed just in time for them to stop recording. Pop Psychology was a devoted love letter to New Wave (even more and better than Dreamcar or Bleachers) and I loved it. 
Boys Don’t Cry is the unwitting grandfather of those records. 
You know these guys. They had a pretty big hit in “I Wanna Be A Cowboy”, a song which should have been the warning that “I’m Too Sexy” was on the horizon.
That said, this style is drifting afield from the mission statement more than a wee bit. 

https://open.spotify.com/album/2unvWXhYUVwQEhIpnwugch?si=5WJWXHv_Q4u--9QjpX71Sw

No comments: