Monday, November 4, 2019

The 1986 Listening Post - Thelonious Monster - Baby...You're Bummin' My Life Out in a Supreme Fashion

Thelonious Monster - Baby...You're Bummin' My Life Out in a Supreme Fashion



#74/1241 LISTENING POST ADMIN DISCOVERY
1986 Housekeeping
Thelonious Monster
Baby…You’re Bummin’ My Life Out in a Supreme Fashion
Genre: Whatever the fuck they want to play, apparently
4.75 out of 5


Highlights:
Psychofunkindelic
Positive Train
Thelonious Monster
Joke Song
Life’s A Groove



Seriously. That’s the genre. It’s punk. It’s funk. It’s rock. It’s self-aggrandizing narratives. It’s joyous and weird and I honestly don’t know why this hasn’t been in my life. 
Some of it is awful and some of it is terrific. 
Thelonious Monster was a name I used to hear all the time in LA. Same with Fishbone. I never saw them but, what a fucking great name for a band. Also, Dread Zeppelin…boy was this shit weird. 
Is it funk? Yes. On the first track. 
But, wait…it’s punk! (“Yes Yes No”)
Hang on…it’s psychedelic garage (“Positive Train”)
WAITAMINNIT! It’s a blues jam! (“Let Me In the House”)
Spoken word? Sure. (“Joke Song”)


And that’s this record. It’s just a big honking piece of fun. It’s like kids who grew up listening and loving Zappa started a band and then it turns out they were better than Zappa ever could have hoped to be. 


Okay. I’ve read up on TM. Bob Forrest is the drug counselor who works with Dr. Drew and was on Celebrity Rehab?!?!? I love that guy. I had no idea that this was the same guy.
Fuck. What a talent. 

You know what? I’m gonna give this an extra 1/2 point for being a massive discovery for me. 


No comments: