Friday, November 8, 2019

The 1986 Listening Post - Pet Shop Boys - Please

Pet Shop Boys - Please



#99/1266
March 24 1986
Pet Shop Boys
Please
Genre: SynthPop
4.75 out of 5 


Highlights:
Two Divided By Zero
West End Girls
Opportunities (Let's Make Lots of Money)
Suburbia
Violence
I Want a Lover


Here’s an admission: For no reason that I can ascertain, I have always gotten Pet Shop Boys confused with Haircut 100. 
This is a lot like when I heard Howard Jones’ Human Lib for the first time. I wasn’t expecting to like it. I was overwhelmed by how much I did, indeed, like it. 
It’s everything their last album Welcome to the Pleasure Dome was. 
What’s that?
Oh.
Wait, this isn’t a Marc Almond joint? 
Dang. 
It’s not Yaz? Really? Are you sure???
I still liked it. 
We are dangerously close to being afield from the “rock” mission but I’ll allow it only because, fuck, “Opportunities” sounded great blasting in my car’s immersive sound on the 10 freeway today. 


No comments: