Friday, November 8, 2019

The 1986 Listening Post - The Rolling Stones - Dirty Work

The Rolling Stones - Dirty Work



#98/1265
March 24 1986
The Rolling Stones
Dirty Work
Genre: Rock
4 out of 5


Highlights:
One Hit (to the Body)
Fight
Harlem Shuffle



I was in Vancouver, staying at the company loft in Yaletown about 8 years ago. It was one of those rainy weeks in Canada where everything is grey and yet, gorgeous because even the way the grey reflects off the glass buildings is clean and crisp. 
I only had the opportunity to stay at the loft a few times and this one found me with a ton of down time. 
For a while I used the open space to rehearse my one man show but, that can only fill up so many hours of a rainy day. 
And that’s when I decided to listen to as much Rolling Stones as I could. I was going to start another Listening Post retrospective and they were to be the subject. 
I never got around to writing up my thought but, holy hell what a treat that was. 
See, I avoided the Stones in my younger days as I was always just trying to catch up on what was new and I never had the time plus they were one of those bands. You know…the pillars of rock. How could they ever live up to the hype?
omg, they lived up to the hype. I think we all agree that there were some hiccups in the early 70s but I blew past them and, before I knew it, I had to get to work and then never got back to writing about them. 
I liked this record. I even liked the latter-day Clash dub redux of “Too Rude”. It reminded me of everything liked about Black Market Clash and having it produced by Steve Lillywhite made it just that much better.



No comments: