Monday, November 4, 2019

The 1986 Listening Post - Death of Samantha - Strungout on Jargon


Death of Samantha - Strungout on Jargon


#85/1252
March 1 1986
Death of Samantha
Strungout On Jargon
Genre: Indie
3.5 out of 5


Highlights:
Simple As That
Conviction
Grapeland (I’m Getting Sick)

I hear Joy Division. Do you? I hear Sonic Youth as well. I also hear…King Missile…? 
I hear…
the 90s. 
“Simple as That” is the sound of change.
This whole DIY record is nothing great but it’s also fantastic. I keep coming back to this: The 80s were a time when everything changed and anything went. Get in a studio and bash out something. Get on stage and make some noise. The Sex Pistols proved that musical talent didn’t matter, in fact, it was a detriment to the roots of rock and roll. And Radiohead would soon crystallize the sentiment with “Anyone Can Play Guitar”. 
This is the nexus of those sentiments. 
I thought this was just the right amount of weirdness and fun. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhQ01WdqT9E


No comments: