Thursday, December 21, 2023

The 1982 Listening Post - Tracey Thorn - A Distant Shore

 Reviewed by Allen Lulu

Released: September 1982 Tracey Thorn A Distant Shore Genre: Indie Rating: 4.25 out of 5 Highlights: Small Town Girl Femme Fatale Requisite 80s Cover: VU’s “Femme Fatale”, given the street corner solo artist treatment and it’s my absolutely favorite version on that song ever. Before Everything But the Girl, after Marine Girls, Tracey Thorn recorded this record. And it’s … fucking lovely. One of the great moments in The Listening Post history was when I heard Lazy Ways by Marine Girls. I wrote about that in the album review. It was something that someone I knew in college had and I heard it once but it stayed with me, even though I forgot the name of the band AND the name of the record. And, then, like magic, there it was. If you take that Marine Girls record and you swirl a bunch of Style Council (for whom she sang) in you get this delightful coffee shop girl-with-a-guitar record. I don’t know how many songwriters count Thorn as an influence but it must count in the hundreds. Did she play Lilith Fair? Cuz she IS Lilith Fair made manifest. The entirety of Riot Grrl is here, stripped down to a single acoustic guitar. Because Riot Grrl was all attitude.

No comments: