Saturday, December 16, 2023

The 1981 Listening Post - States - Picture Me with You

 Reviewed by Michael Gaynor

Released: 1981 States Picture Me With You Genre: Power Pop (don’t get your hopes up) Rating: 2 out of 5 (best I can do) Highlights: (not really) Was the lead singer trying to sound like (Martin Short doing) Katherine Hepburn? I’m following them on facebook now, don’t say I’m not willing to take one for the team. Title Track – let’s rip off The Knack because power pop IS ripping-off. Angel of the Morning – I’m glad I got the chance to look up how many (so many) better versions of this song I’ve liked on Spotify over the years. The synth whistle in the Night Ranger-ish intro is hysterical. Saturday Night – at least it rocks a little bit. Covering The Rollers would have been a much better idea. Love on the Line – chorus doesn’t suck. Tell Me It’s Love – also rocks a little bit. Love You Girl – I think there’s a comma missing. Hey, it’s 1981, let’s get our friend with a sax for the 3rd “Love” song in a row! Let’s Roll – possibly the best song on the album. Actually I like the intro, and then he has to go and start singing. Jenny – could have been the best song on the album, the synth is good on the chorus but otherwise excruciating. Just a Dream – a different singer? Honestly can’t tell. Nice Trick-esque chorus. Get It – no, not covering Dave Edmunds (who I’m sure was covering somebody because that was his jam), doesn’t suck. Nice little Day Tripper reference tucked in at the very end (see, I actually listened to all of them all the way through).

No comments: