Sunday, December 17, 2023

The 1981 Listening Post - Iva Twydell - Secret Service

 Reviewed by Sheffield Chastain

Released: 1981 Iva Twydell Secret Service Genre: Peppy Christian New Wave Rating: 3.2 out of 5 Highlights: The Dance Has Just Begun I Guess I'll Always Be (Someone Like Me) Secret Service Iva Twydell, born Ivor Twidell, was the drummer of After The Fire, they of the Der Kommissar cover by Falco, who split from ATF at the peak of their career reportedly due to conflicts with their Christian values and the rock n’ roll life style. But don’t let that throw you. Yes, this album is firmly placed in the catalogue of Christian New Wave, but Twydell doesn’t push it. This is simple, peppy, competent New Wave. Some nice violins here and there, like on Cold War. Some well placed sax on the title song, Secret Service, and Cover Me. I could do without the flute. I Surrender, Save Me, Don’t Be Afraid and Cover Me are nice little tunes, well written, simple, with the Christian message laid on with a delicate hand. No harm, no foul. The Dance Has Just Begun has that happy, skipping, violin filled pop that I liked about Dexy’s Midnight Runners. And I was actually moved by the self reflective I Guess I'll Always Be (Someone Like Me). I’ve spent various times of my life wishing I was someone else, someone better. Perhaps we all have at one point or another. Right? We’re all human, after all. But in the end, I guess I’ll always be …. someone like me. I’m fine with that now. I gotta think Iva Twydell got there as well. Don’t be put off by the number of tracks here - 15. All but three of the songs are under 3 minutes and most clock in around the 2 1/2 minute mark. Short, simple, sweet. I say give it a listen.

No comments: