Thursday, December 21, 2023

The 1982 Listening Post - Toxic Reasons - Independence

 Reviewed by Allen Lulu / LISTENING POST DISCOVERY

Released: 1982 Toxic Reasons Independence Genre: Hardcore Punk Rating: 4.25 out of 5 Highlights: Mercenary Noise Boys Ghost Town White Noise Requisite 80s cover: I love their version of “The Shape of Things to Come”. Not as much as the original, though. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that was a song by a fictional band in the terrific ’68 cult film, Wild in the Streets. Toxic Reasons amp up the psychedelic craziness, more so than the prefab band for the movie and much much more than Paul Revere and the Raiders’ version. Me like! Listen to “Drunk and Disorderly” and tell me it doesn’t a) sound like they are yelling “Toy story!!” And b) that they don’t sound like a bunch of musicians who showed up to play songs but they are all wanted by either the law or by the big brothers/uncles/fathers of girls they’ve wronged and they promised a full set, so they are playing like they have to prove themselves but also get the fuck out of the joint as fast as possible. You could pretty much pick any track from this record as a highlight to represent the style. Toxic Reasons understand the assignment and dammit if Bruce Stuckey can shred. If you ever wanted to know what a Reggae song would sound like if Lemmy fronted The Clash, have no fear, “White Noise” is here for you. I wish the album was produced with a little less echo as I think it needs to be rawer. But, no matter. I’ll take it. It’s an adrenalin shot.

No comments: