Sunday, December 17, 2023

The 1981 Listening Post - Renaissance - Camera Camera

 Reviewed by Allen Lulu

Released: October 15 1981 Renaissance Camera Camera Genre: Prog Rating: 3.25 out of 5 Do you just have to be in the mood for this kind of music? I don’t mean that as a slam I just wonder, can you put this on and have it play in the background? Are there people out there who get in their car and fire up “Tyrant-Tula” as driving music? I can see doing that to, say, “Jigsaw” but I just wanted to point out that there’s a song called “Tyrant-Tula”. This is much ado about a lot of poetic stuff but I couldn’t really follow all that, you guys know that by now. Tellingly, the song I most jelled with was the one written entirely by bassist Jon Camp, “Running Away From You” because it’s got the most pop construction. It kind of reminds me of “Too Much Time on My Hands” and it occupies the same space on this record: It’s the song that veers from what you expect from the band but not too much that it doesn’t sound like them (actually, what it succeeds in doing is proving that this band just was prog-Abba). Renaissance was provided lyrics by non band member Betty Thatcher, in the same way that Taupin did for Elton. But Taupin could write songs about stuff other humans could relate to and Betty just did not do that. This is their last album with her, however. And, subsequently, they only have one more record in them in 1983 for a long time.

No comments: