Sunday, December 17, 2023

The 1981 Listening Post - Broadcast - Broadcast

 Reviewed by Jim Coursey

Released: 1981 Broadcast Broadcast Genre: Soft Rock Rating: 1.5 out of 5 Finnish band records breezy tunes with California themes and a hint of disco rhythm. (Have they ever been to California? I guess titles like “Soderkulla Sungodown” or “Baltic” don’t evoke the same vibes as “Pasadena Sungodown” or “Pacific.”) Nothing is particularly memorable, but the vocals do me in from the first drawn out “boooogie baby”, never letting up. “Unctuous”, to borrow an Allen standby. That they seem to have more than one person taking a crack at the vocals doesn’t help – the more honey they pour out, the stickier the mess. I could be more specific I suppose, but that would require hitting “rewind”, and I’m not getting paid enough for that kind of torture..

No comments: