Thursday, December 21, 2023

The 1981 Listening Post - Heads In The Sky - Heads In The Sky

 Reviewed by Sheffield Chastain

Released: 1981 Heads In The Sky Heads In The Sky Genre: Flog (Floyd Prog) Rating: 3.5 out of 5 Highlights: Survive Three Isle My Land Full disclosure - I am just not that into Prog Rock. Though (as with Metal) there is some Prog I do like. Genesis comes to mind. I appreciate the excellence of Yes. And, of course, Floyd. But there are a marillion other Prog bands out there that I just can’t take. All that said, this journey into proggy progland isn’t half bad. It’s not half good, either. So. Where Heads In The Sky succeeds, with me, is when they cleave to the Floyd terrain. I mean, listen to Survive or Three Isle My Land (the best track, imho) and tell me that’s not Pink Floyd. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, they say, and I kinda dig it. But then you get the Atomic Energy Sweet (in 3 parts) and my eyes can’t roll back into my head far enough. Luckily, that didn't happen as much as it usually does when I listen to Prog. And I really dug the album cover. Alien space heads in the sky! I mean, that is some weird, weird shit. So, as far as Prog Rock albums go, I didn't hate it - which is saying A LOT. I wonder what real Prog aficionados will make of this?

No comments: