Thursday, December 21, 2023

The 1981 Listening Post - Missing Presumed Dead - Revenge

 Reviewed by Tom Mott

Released: 1981 Missing Presumed Dead Revenge Genre: Post Punk Rating: 3.65 out of 5 Highlights: Always Say No Leave Me My Little Sister's Turning Into Duane Eddie My, my, shepherd's pie! It's that jittery, jazzity, funkity, post-punk sound: Skronk sax, bass way up front, busy jazz drumming, electric guitar played like an amplified washboard. Minutemen, fIREHOSE, The Glaxo Babies, Positive Noise, Rip Rig + Panic, Pigbag, Essential Logic ... Skankin' music for 80s art school kids with asymmetrical hair. If that doesn't speak to you, keep calm and carry on. But if that's your scene, Missing Presumed Dead deliver. They're solid musicians, committed to the music, and aren't afraid to mush about a bit in interesting ways. My Little Sister's Turning into Duane Eddie and Pts. 1-17 both waft into psych/prog territory, suggesting some experimentation with LSD. Leave Me would have filled the post-punk mosh pit. I admit the opening 40 seconds had me hoping for an entirely different album, but there's enough here to maintain interest.

No comments: