Sunday, December 17, 2023

The 1982 Listening Post - Spoons - Arias & Symphonies

 Reviewed by Allen Lulu / LISTENING POST DISCOVERY

Released: 1982 Spoons Arias & Symphonies Genre: Synth-Wave Rating: 4.75 out of 5 Highlights: Trade Winds Smiling In Winter One In Ten Words No Electrons No More Growing Up Arias & Symphonies Walk The Plank The opening salvo of “Trade Winds” and “Smiling in Winter” suggest that we are in for a synthesized treat. It has me wondering: how come we don’t talk about Spoons when we discuss 80s New Wave Synth Pop? This is easily as good, if not better than all the Depeche Mode I’ve heard from the era and it gives Upstairs at Eric’s a run for it’s money as well. Side One is relentless. I am imagining “No Electrons” played at an outdoor arena, with a light show mesmerizing 50,000 people and I want to go to there. I keep reading ratings that float this between a 3.5 and a 4 and, at the end of Side One, I am at a loss. So, let’s flip it over. The epic “Nova Heart” actually pales to the rest of what I’ve heard so far. And it’s the single. But, that don’t make it not good, as they say. This is one of the most fully realized spinners I’ve heard from a band whose previous album didn’t show signs of this grandiosity.

No comments: