Tuesday, April 7, 2020

The 1986 Listening Post - Yo - Once in a Blue Moon

Yo - Once in a Blue Moon


#578
1986 Housekeeping
Yo
Once in a Blue Moon
Genre: The sound of the late 80s
4 out of 5


Highlights:
I Mean to Tell You
Blue Moon

Requisite 80s Cover: “Hard Headed Woman” by Cat Stevens. 

I usually don’t care for it if a band opens with someone else’s song. Especially when the rest of the record is all originals. It says that they don’t have faith inter own material to me. But Yo’s version rocks and it totally worth it. I even like it as an opener. 
What I mean by that genre is that, with the influence of REM (“I Meant to Tell You” echoes “Harborcoat” pretty hard) and Wall of Voodoo (Bruce Rayburn’s nasal vox) and all the jangle bands of the era, this is becoming a sound that I equate with the late 80s now. It’s country jangle nasal weird and…good. It’s not Timbuk 3 good. But it’ll do. 
On Rayburn’s Facebook page he posted “Birthday Boy” by The Residents and, you know what? Kind of makes sense. 

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3Om8XOY1VA&list=PL5vNoBAn_Ml07C2ibxJ9ImeIyYVtAhkDM

No comments: