Friday, April 10, 2020

The 1986 Listening Post - The Jean Paul Sartre Experience - Love Songs

The Jean Paul Sartre Experience - Love Songs


#610 LISTENING POST DISCOVERY
1986 Housekeeping
The Jean Paul Sartre Experience
Love Songs
Genre: The 60s just never fucking end, do they?
4.5 out of 5


Highlights:
Let That Good Thing Grow
I Like Rain



Even though I studied a bit of Sartre in college, my main takeaway from him comes from my fear of heights. I am terrified of balconies. They can be chin high and I am still deathly afraid. Someone once told me that it was Sartre who said that it’s because we have the knowledge that we can hurl ourselves over the edge. And that’s why I have the irrational fear. My fear extends to step ladders. Standing on stools. Climbing trees.
But this fear manifested a few years after my pre-adolescence. Since I had a tree fort when I was kid. Really, it was a plank of plywood I mounted in a tree so I could sit in it and read. Which i did every once in a while. Mostly science fiction novels. And, really, those were just Star Trek episode novelizations. 
I was 9. 
If my son did the same thing today i would think he’s a fool and going to break his neck.
What the hell was my mother doing, anyway?

This album is a lava lamp at a bong fueled orgy where you think you are having sex with members of The Velvet Underground but it’s a cover band and the Lou Reed lookalike is really a Joe Dallesandro clone with less charisma and you wake up wondering how that is even possible. 

Oh, and this album was really neat. If it came out 15 years later it would be heralded as an Indie work of art and they would play the Silver Lake Lounge every Sunday Night in rep. 

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5lZWi8i10lffzApck2xFBK?si=i8tKJbdkS6CjsTuVUaZ1PA

No comments: