Tuesday, April 21, 2020

The 1980 Listening Post - Eric Carmen - Tonight You're Mine

Eric Carmen - Tonight You're Mine



#2
Reviewed by Tami Fitzkoff
January 1 1980
Eric Carmen
Tonight You’re Mine
Allen’s Rating: 2 out of 5
Tami’s Rating: 0.5 out of 5
Genre: Music for Incels


By Tami Fitzkoff

First let me say, I tried to look past the cover art for this record which looks like “Me Too” evidence.  Then I listened to the music. Carmen’s lyrics are equivalent to ear waterboarding.  Actual lyrics in his songs, “Mama says baby loves shortenin' bread But baby loves bein' with me instead” or this doozy “Took her out and told her I loved her Then she put my hand in her pants.”  There’s so much more awfulness, but I just cannot go down that road again.  Look, Eric Carmen is a good musician.  That’s the only positive thing I can say about him.  His album is a mishmash of other peoples musical styles, which he plays and “steals” from very well, like Chucky Berry, The Who (particularly their Eminence Front song) and Billy Joel. 

If there’s one tune on the album that’s bearable, I guess it would be “It Hurts Too Much”— which should have been the title of the album.  If I didn’t know it, I would have thought I was listening to Meatloaf singing a song that pays homage to Billy Joel’s “Say Goodbye To Hollywood”, which was Billy Joel’s homage to Spector’s wall of sound.  Am I trying to show-off my musical knowledge?  You bet your ass. Seriously though, the song is slightly catchy, but Carmen literally lifts the beat, the piano AND the saxophone directly from Billy Joel’s song.  I believe this was before sampling.  Honestly, I am an admitted fan of some cheesy music, but this goes down as one of the worst albums ever.  It could be a soundtrack for Incels.

https://open.spotify.com/album/0iz5EuAi5uGviUHzbUOTBp?si=4a-YAe9XRUCW9N4oGh7eYw

No comments: