Tuesday, March 19, 2019

The 1984 Listening Post - Steve Miller - Italian X-Rays

Steve Miller - Italian X-Rays

#287
October 1984
Steve Miller
Italian X-Rays
1.75 out of 5

When John's sister got Book of Dreams I believe we listened to it on repeat. So much did I enjoy that album that I joined the Columbia House Record Club and got The Joker and Fly Like an Eagle (which contained "Serenade", a favorite Miller song for me).
Then, like is my wont, I dumped out with Abracadabra.
I can't make heads or tails out of this one, though.
It's pulsing new wave heavy bass space music...where the hell did Steve's joyous rock and roll go?
NOBODY WANTS SYNTH-POP FROM STEVE MILLER!
Okay, maybe that's not fair. There has always been a fair amount of keyboard-dependence from Steve but, I mean, "Bongo Bongo" sounds like they are having a good time (and it's weirdly infectious) but it's also a Devo song long after the expiration date.
Anything that really reminds of the Steve Miller Band comes way late in the record. "Golden Opportunity" and "One in a Million", for example. I really feel like, if he had put these up front I could be more forgiving of the new sound. Instead, it feels like he's ramming the garbage down my throat and these tracks are a benevolent afterthought.

I fucking hate 84.

No comments: