Tuesday, March 19, 2019

The 1984 Listening Post - The Pogues - Red Roses for Me

The Pogues - Red Roses for Me

#284
October 1984
The Pogues
Red Roses for Me
3.5 out of 5

I do enjoy some Flogging Molly.

Wait. What?

Oh, right.

I've never listened to Shane MacGowen. I mean, those teeth. Really.

You know who the Pogues are really the precursors to? Not Molly. Nope.

Titus Andronicus.

I swear Patrick Stickels listens to The Pogues on the daily. And then warps it through depression and anxiety and anger and chaos.

Does anyone listen to Titus A? Cuz, they have 2 quite brilliant records which sound like a person having a mental breakdown and working it out through his music. I'm a big fan.

Oh, yeah, Pogues.

"The Auld Triangle" can bring me to tears without even paying attention to the lyrics. Shane's singing is not just propelled by the haunting music, it's also determined to overcome it.

I don't know if it's rock or if it's punk. Or if it's just solid sea shanty Irish pub drinking music but it's pretty great. I want to get screeched in at Christian's Bar in St. John's (again) and spend the rest of the night slapping my knee and pounding Guinness.

The good news is that I've also not heard Rum Sodomy and the Lash and that is on the horizon.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/red-roses-for-me-expanded/189235398

No comments: