Tuesday, March 19, 2019

The 1984 Listening Post - Danny Elfman - So-Lo

Danny Elfman - So-Lo

#303
November 11 1984
Danny Elfman
So-Lo
4 out of 5

Highlights:
Gratitude
Cool City
It Only Makes Me Laugh

This is an Oingo Boingo but was released as a solo record for legal reasons.

Ok. I've heard terrrrrible things about this. So of course when "Gratitude" plays I am hopelessly tapping my feet and fondly reminiscing about the best of Devo. Easily my favorite track that Oingo Boingo put out in the era.
So much of this album is just fun without pretention ("Cool City", "It Only Makes Me Laugh") or actually songs that could be recorded by any number of the blue-eyed soul New Wave bands of the era ("The Last Time").
I thought this album was a blast. Much better than recent Devo, not as great as Sparks' Cool Places. But solid.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/so-lo/5242455

No comments: