Sunday, March 3, 2019

The 1984 Listening Post - Alphaville - Forever Young

Alphaville - Forever Young


#244
September 27 1984
Alphaville
Forever Young
4.75 out of 5


Highlights:
A Victory of Love
Big in Japan
To Germany with Love
Fallen Angel
Sounds Like a Melody
The Jet Set


Remember “Chess”? That was a musical by Tim Rice and the dudes from Abba. There was a hit song, a euro-pop song that was on MTV all the fucking time, “One Night in Bangkok”. The lead single here, “Big in Japan” reminds me of that. And “Safety Dance”. And thirty other anonymous 80s synth tracks. It’s still good but…there ya go. 
This album is what this is all about for me. I have never heard Alphaville and I would probably pass based on that lead single but a song like “Fallen Angel” sounds like today’s Capital Cities or Grouplove (or they sound like Alphaville) and I like that sound. “Sounds Like a Melody” is what happens if Kraftwerk wrote…y’know…songs. 
I loved this record. I can not explain this. 


No comments: