Tuesday, March 19, 2019

The 1984 Listening Post - Nik Kershaw - The Riddle

Nik Kershaw - The Riddle

#301
November 19 1984
Nik Kershaw
The Riddle
3.75 out of 5

Highlights:
Don Quixote
You Might
Roses

You know album I really liked? Kajagoogoo's debut.
And that's what this sounds like at the start. I don't know if sounding like Kajagoogoo's cousin is really a point of pride, tho.
He does find his own voice, somewhere between synth-pop and Dance-pop and it's not unpleasant in the least.
And I gotta give Nik credit, two albums in one year...it's almost like he knew that, one day, I would listen to Human Racing and develop such contempt for him and his brand of two-years-too-late synth-pop and he thought he might have to make some amends to me.
He does redeem himself a bit.
In a way, Nik reminds me also a bit of a synth-pop Martin Briley, although I'm not sure Martin would appreciate that. There is a wordiness that Nik employs on the highlighted tracks that echo Martin's Fear of the Unknown album.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/the-riddle/471351321

No comments: