Wednesday, March 6, 2019

The 1984 Listening Post - U2 - The Unforgettable Fire

U2 - The Unforgettable Fire

#256
October 1 1984
U2
The Unforgettable Fire
4.25 out of 5

Highlights:
Pride (In the Name of Love)
Wire
Bad

I'm pretty sure I documented how my modern day music blogging/review adventure began. I discovered that I owned every U2 album, had never really listened beyond the hits, decided to do the whole catalog, etc. It's all on the Septenary blog. I can provide the links.
Anyhoo. U2 was the first one.
While I loved Boy and War I loathed everything about October. So, I figured this could be, well, anything really. Eno producing with Canadian (!!!) Lanois, taking the reins from Steve Lillywhite, surely the hits were ubiquitous in 1984. How was the rest?
I loved it in 84. And I have not listened since.
While I'm listening I'll go back and reread my old review.
Yep. No disagreement here. In fact, since I just watched highlights of Live Aid again in the shadow of Bohemian Rhapsody I will say that Queen was a reclamation that day but U2' "Bad" was a reckoning, a revelation. They picked up the gauntlet for what would be 80s rock and ran like hell with it.
While this is OF the 80s and informed by the 80s it is also one of the most influential of the times. Impossible to ignore, even when it starts to fall flat ("Promenade", "Indian Summer Sky" "Elvis Presley and America") it shows promise.
They are almost there.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/the-unforgettable-fire-remastered-deluxe-version/336369240

No comments: