Tuesday, March 19, 2019

The 1984 Listening Post - Guadalcanal Diary - Walking in the Shadow of the Big Man

Guadalcanal Diary - Walking in the Shadow of the Big Man

#282
October 1984
Guadalcanal Diary
Walking in the Shadow of the Big Man
4.5 out of 5

Highlights:
Fire From Heaven
Gilbert Takes the Wheel
Ghosts on the Road

First off...Guadalcanal Diary wasn't a hardcore punk band?!? What? But their name! It's...how is this not a punk band's name??
Secondly...right off the bat I'm reminded of The Long Ryders. And, of course, R.E.M. and The Byrds. And all of that in a very good way.
How was this not blaring out of every dorm room in 1984? This has college rock written all over it.
I'm sad I missed this when it came out and super glad to have discovered it now.
While listening to "Heathen Rage" I now want to collect all the bands I played alongside, (The Andersons, The Piper Downs, Jeddrah, The Shakers, Four Star Mary) and have them record a tribute album to GD.
Peters out at the end with an overlong instrumental and......"Kum Bay Ya"?
Ummm....hey, I did a punk version of "B-I-N-G-O" right around this time.'
I approve.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/walking-in-the-shadow-of-the-big-man/76148919

No comments: