Tuesday, March 19, 2019

The 1984 Listening Post - Triumph - Thunder Seven

Triumph - Thunder Seven

#302
November 10 1984
Triumph
Thunder Seven
4.25 out of 5

Highlights:
Spellbound
Cool Down
Time Goes By/Midsummer's Daydream/Time Canon/Killing Time

If you asked me 10 years ago, 20 years ago or even this morning, "What do you think of Triumph?" I would say they are mediocre Scorpions sounding radio metal.
And that wouldn't be far from the truth.
But here's the thing:
Just a Game: 4.5
Progressions of Power: 4
Allied Forces: 4.5
Never Surrender: 4.5

And I would tell you that I don't really care for them.

But, looking back at my ratings...I guess I really do. I have not been disappointed by their brand of guitar rock. And what their brand is is American rock done by Canadians, which often means brighter, cleaner, shinier and...sometimes....better (Looking at you, Kick Axe).
They are really trying to bring the Zeppelin on tracks like "Cool Down" and they mostly succeed. This is definitely in the Fastway mold but I like it better than them.
The wanna be single "Follow Your Heart" is a direct line between 70s metal and the band White Reaper. You don't know White Reaper??? Listen to this song and then fire up "Judy French" immediately. It was my favorite song of 2016. I'll link it in the comments.
Side Two is even more Zeppy with the the terrific "Time Goes By" giving way to the acoustic "Midsummer's Daydream" leading into the a capella "Time Canon" and then the soaring "Killing Time" and it might be my favorite thing Triumph has ever done. It's just fun. For me, at least.
And it also shows that even on this later album, Triumph was still trying.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/thunder-seven/1287320162

No comments: