Tuesday, March 19, 2019

The 1984 Listening Post - REO Speedwagon - Wheels are Turnin'

REO Speedwagon - Wheels are Turnin'


#300 (!!!!)
November 5 1984
REO Speedwagon
Wheels are Turnin'
2.75 out of 5

Highlights:
I Do' Wanna Know
Can't Fight this Feeling

I often think that REO Speedwagon's best stuff sound like they are auditioning to be the band that writes the song for a sequel to Grease.
I know there was a sequel to Grease and it was terrible. And, you know what? It might've been a LOT better if they used REO Speedwagon songs.
They're like a slightly less charismatic, more arena ready J. Geils Band, no?
When they hit, they hit a bullseye. But that's rare. After Nine Lives and Hi Fidelity it's been a war of attrition of quality material for them.
I have a friend over, sitting in the corner, working on a puzzle while the kids are playing and the wives are outside talking. I started playing this from where I left off, during "Live Every Moment".
"Is this REO Speedwagon? I feel like I haven't heard them in 20 years."
He hasn't. But its remarkable that he knew who it was from 30 seconds of a non-hit album track.
"Can't Fight this Feeling"...is there any other song that screams "80s Prom" than this one?
I think not.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/wheels-are-turnin/200298768

No comments: