Tuesday, March 19, 2019

The 1984 Listening Post - Julian Cope - Fried

Julian Cope - Fried

#300 (I've made some numbering mistakes. Sorry)
November 9 1984
Julian Cope
Fried
4 out of 5

Highlights:
Reynard the Fox
The Bloody Assizes
O King of Chaos

This is a lot rawer than World Shut Your Mouth from the get-go and I already love it.
Cope gets a bit precious and wistful occasionally ("Me Singing") but, for the most part, it's unassuming and quite fun.
I never really cared for The Teardrop Explodes (although I love the name with an adoration and envy I can not express) and I really thought that last one by Cope was meh but, bully for him for coming out just a few months later with something as interesting and assertive as this.
I'm quite stunned at how much I enjoyed this. Stripped down, I would have told you that Julian needs MORE filigree and production, not less.
The space between the notes and the air he gives himself here is greatly appreciated.
I gave this an extra .25 above the average because my experience with it was unexpected.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fried/599505560


No comments: